Host network management roadmap inquiry

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 10:48:44 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 06:34 PM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 01.08.2012, 09:56 -0400 schrieb Andrew Cathrow:

More than one virtual NIC can be assigned to a VM. The Quantum agents
are tune to assign the virtual NIC to the correct network. The NIC
bonding is something that is not addressed by Quantum. Each agent hsa
its own configuration file that indicates the physical network
connectivity.
>> good place to start :
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Quantum_and_oVirt
> Hey,
> besides these Quantum specific informations I'd also like to discuss
> where oVirt is going wrt to networking.
> Quantum is sure a nice solution for a project wide solution, but how can
> or should this be integrated into the underlying components like vdsm or
> node?

If Quantum was integrated into oVirt then oVirt would receive all of the
support from Quantum. For example in Folsom there has been a lot of
activity in Quantum to provide address management. In the wiki it is
written that forman supports tis. I am not exactly sure in what context.
In Folsom-3 of Quantum one or more IP addresses can be assigned in a
network (from a predefined subnet). A DHCP agent ensures that the VM's
will receive the assigned IP address.

>  From a Node pov (feature as well as implementation wise) it is quite
> interesting if we should switch to openvswitch (which can then in turn
> used by quantum [via vdsm?]) or keep the linux bridge stuff.
>
> There are also efforts on it's way (like teaming, the F17 feature) which
> we should keep an eye on, as this seems to land in network manager as an
> alternative(?) to the default bonding. It's also interesting how this
> performs with openvswitch.
>
> Many changes on many sides and we should lay out the path a bit to find
> a direction where to go.
> There is already
>
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Networking

Can you please clarify what you mean by network permissions. Quantum has
permissions for the management of networks.