Host network management roadmap inquiry

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 10:54:48 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:59 PM, Mark Wu wrote:
> Sorry for cross-posting!
>
> I would like to inquiry about the roadmap of host network management
> in oVirt in order to
> make sure the ideas to be worked on are welcomed by community.
>
> I did some initial investigation on the following topics. I am not
> very familiar with them, so the information may contain some
> inaccuracies or errors.
>
> netcf:
>
>     It provides cross-platform network configuration library/tool by
> converting the XML definition of an interface into local config file.
> It's already used by libvirt to manage host network interfaces.It
> supports all network entities including bridge, vlan, bond, nic. And
> it also supports configuration rollback.  The benefit for vdsm is
> making host network stack configuration easy to port to other distros.
>
> Problems found:
>     It doesn't restore interface live state during config transaction
> now. There's a feature request submit for it.
>     There're some advanced settings not supported in netcf, like
> 'NM_CONTROLLED' and some less used bonding options.
>
>     It doesn't provide python binding officially. But we can use
> libvirt API to integrate it into vdsm. It shouldn't have any impact on
> engine side.
>

> IEEE 802.1Qbg(VEPA)
>
>      It can offload network switching from server to external physical
> switch. It makes all VMs' traffic visible to physical switch, and
> therefore the existing switch functions (firewall, QoS etc) can be
> applied to VM immediately. The offload also frees up the server
> resource used by switching.
>      Now libvirt supports it by using macvtap as vif and working with
> lldpad, which registers vif's mac/vlan information to the physical
> switch. We can just add a 'virtualport' element to an interface XML
> definition to add a VEPA interface. Probably, to support it in oVirt
> we still need configure lldpad  and query available VSI types for
> virtualport profile.
>

> quantum
>
>    Both the plugins openvswitch and linuxbridge stores abstract
> network entities (network, port) in database and create bridge/vlan
> via the tool ip/brctl or ovs-vsctl on demand. Only one bridge is
> created on one server and one vlan is created for each virtual
> network. That means that only one nic can be configured for vm
> network.  It doesn't configure nic or bond even if openvswitch also
> supports bond. Both of traditional network stack configuration and
> quantum will be supported oVirt for different purpose, right?

Please not that there are a large amount of suported plugins. Please
look at http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum to see a list of plugins. In
addition to this there is a meta plugin which is currently in review -
this is a plugin that can support more than one plugin :) (At the moment
Quantum only supports one plugin)