Consumability of vdsm via libvdsm.so

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 13 15:21:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We just finished a lively discussion regarding the ongoing effort to stabilize
the vdsm API using a C library called libvdsm.  There are many things that need
discussion, but I would like to focus this thread on one in particular:

Can ovirt-engine consume libvdsm via JNI?

libvdsm provides a full-featured C interface to the vdsm API using GObject.
Java bindings are provided automatically by jGIR[1].  The library communicates
with vdsmd using an internal transport which is not exposed to end users
(including ovirt-engine).  I would like to learn from folks with deep Java
knowledge if this approach is workable.  What are the technical challenges to
integrating in this way?  Please save discussion of AMQP and other bindings for
other threads.

Thanks!

[1] https://live.gnome.org/JGIR

--