freenode vs. oftc

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 05:59:44 UTC 2012

On 03/01/2012 04:20 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
>>   -1 from me, my nick DV is repeteadly taken by someone else
>
> Why don't you register your nick?  pmyers is registered for me on both
> freenode and oftc, so no one can impersonate me :)  (No idea why someone
> would, but one never knows)

In case someone does not know how to register nicks on irc - some IRC
servers have a nick services bot called nickserv -
Feel free to /msg nickserv help and it will send you info on how to
register your nicks.
IIRC, If someone is "taking" your nick, and is refusing to let it go
(and this nick got registered) sending a message to nickserv with
identification details will cause your nick to get released (either this
person gets brutally disconnected from the server or his nick gets
changes to some GuestXYZW where XYZW is some number).

Yair