freenode vs. oftc

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 00:37:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 16:05 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 12:39 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
>
> > We'll keep the #ovirt channel on Freenode open however, if for no
> > other reason than to redirect folks to the OFTC channel
>
> How about this:
>
> * Keep OFTC as canonical channel.
> * Ask everyone to also lurk on the Freenode channel.
> ** By lurking we shorten the time on discussions in this
> other-major-IRC community.
> * Allow conversations to flourish on Freenode, but redirect back to
> OFTC channel.
> * See what happens over time.
>
> We can have ovirtbot on the Freenode channel, so that channel sees the
> activity and so forth. This also allows people to turn a discussion in
> to a meeting simply so they can get a log (and #info, #action, etc.)
> for sharing with the mailing list later.

I think I'd much rather have a handful of people lurk in the freenode
channel and point discussion questions to OFTC.  I think that freenode
has a much larger usage base, so keeping a channel there where we can
point people to the right place is smart, but I don't know about having
both channels active for discussions.

IMHO, we should keep all discussions/meetings on the OFTC channel and
simply redirect people from the freenode channel to OFTC.  We could even
have a join message on the channel that says something like "Thank you
for your interest in the oVirt Project.  Our primary IRC channel is
#ovirt on OFTC.  Please ask your questions there."

Mike