[vdsm] Review Request: Add an option to create a watchdog device.

Sheldon shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 7 15:29:36 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 01:47 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 04:55 AM, Sheldon wrote:
>> On 10/30/2012 01:00 PM, Sheldon wrote:
>>> Looking for some review on this patch.
>>>
>>> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/7535/
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Add a feature page on
>> wiki.http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Add_an_option_to_create_a_watchdog_device
>
> (moved to arch)
> thanks.
> I'm missing where this will be in the engine dialog (in new/edit vm),
> and that engine should probably get the log event on the watchdog
> event, not only vdsm.

Watchdog event is very important for high reliability. It can tell
what's wrong on the guest.

I'm  considering a new patch after this patch was merged. It can support
a new API or channel to notify the watchdog event to the engine.

Seems there is not an asynchronous event channel for engine.

Maybe a new API for the engine.  Engine can poll it to check the
watchdog event.

I will discuss it on the ovirt IRC channel  with the engine expert.

Currently, we do not have any plans to implement the engine side of the
feature.
But I will add a watchdog feature page to describe how engine enable
this feature. It's definitely great if any engine guy would like to take
the engine part. I will be glad to provide help if needed.