KVM on IBM POWER (PPC64) support in vdsm and ovirt

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 07:05:37 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 08:35 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 04:17 PM, Paulo de Rezende Pinatti wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have consolidated the ideas for enabling ppc64 in ovirt-engine in a
>> feature page:
>> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Engine_support_for_PPC64
>>
>> Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.
>
> iiuc, the most obvious change to mention is addition of an 'arch' field
> to cluster, which would affect the list of supported cpu families, etc.?
> (and to later know to filter all other aspects of entities based on this
> arch field)?
>
> list of possible arch's would be per cluster compatibility level.
> i'd expect default for API of this field to be x86_64 for backward
> compatibility, so it is not mandatory.
> I'd also prefer this field to be disabled or hidden if there is only one
> option available in it.
>
> it gets more complicated, as VMs can be moved around between clusters,
> exported/imported, etc.
>
> you would need to validate a VM isn't moved to a cluster with a
> different arch, or imported into a cluster with a different arch as well.
> (probably more like that).
>
> i assume the config to filter device types per arch like the network
> devices is also for console (spice), audio, etc.
>
> the system already has the concept of filtering per cluster level, so
> filtering per cluster level and arch would mean reviewing all places in
> code for that.

I'm adding roy/omer/michal as the work on libosinfo (patches in
gerrit[1]) seems to make some of these changes not needed (if it is merged).
rather just need to extend libosinfo with the information on ppc.

for sure worth reviewing both approaches to make sure the chosen
solution benefits both and we collaborate on same end goal.

[1] some of the patches are:
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/9065
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/9063
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/9049