[RFC] vdsm-bootstrap rewrite naming

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 16:21:15 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 01:52 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am working on rewriting the vdsm-bootstrap process.
>
> I found that most of the installer implementation is not vdsm specific, so I split the package into two:
>
>   core installer
>   vdsm-bootstrap
>
> I would like to find a suitable name for the core installer.
>
> In nat shell:
> """
> Standalone plugin based installation framework to be used to setup
> system components. The plugin nature provides simplicity to
> add new installation functionality without the complexity of the state
> and transaction management.
>
> At the core of the implementation there is environment dictionary and
> a flow of stages within plugins. The environment can be modified using
> command-line parameters, configuration file, or dialog customization.
> """
>
> Sources are available at temporary location[1].
>
> Names that we thought of:
> 1. ovirt-installer

hmmm, that's between being generic, and consumable by others.
question is how problematic it is if we keep our name...
would be nice if we can advertise ourselves a bit.
maybe we can compromise on:
ogi - ovirt generic installer

so name isn't directly with ovirt, but some marketing of ovirt from it
may happen.

so +1 to OGI from me.

> 2. virtulation (virtualization + installation)
> 3. virtaller (virtualization + installation)
> 4. TOPI (Task Oriented Pluggable Installer/Implementation)

+1

hmmm, spinning #1:
OTOPI.
has a nice ring to it around utopia as well.

> 5. PDF (Pluggable Deployment Framework)

-1 due to PDF so widely known as something else

> I would also like to consider if we want to keep the vdsm-bootstrap name for the bootstrap package, or we should use something more generic, as it really bootstrap the host and not vdsm...:
> 1. ovirt-hypervisor-bootstrap
> 2. ovirt-host-setup

+1 to this one. not sure if critical to rename the rpm though.