ovirt-quantum integration

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 13:46:48 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 03:01 PM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> Hi All,
> Mike Kolesnik and me have been working on a proposal for integrating
> quantum into oVirt in the past few weeks.
> We decided to focus our efforts on integrating with quantum services, we
> started with IP address management service.
>
> here is a link to our proposal:
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Quantum_IPAM_Integration
>
> As usual comments are welcome,
Please see my comments below:

i. The quantum diagram is incorrect. It is the same message queue that
passes the notifications. This is done by a message broker. In RH we are
supporting qpid and in the community upstream rabbitmq is used.
ii. The DHCP agent is plugable. That is there may be more than one
implementation. At the moment only dnsmasq is support. There was a
company working on ISC upstream but they have stopped due to problem
they encountered.
iii. Layer 3 driver. This is incorrect. The layer 2 agent does the
network connectivity. The layer 3 agent provides floating IP support.
This is something that you may want to consider to. It is related to IPAM
iv. I am not really sure I understand you picture with server B and
get/create network. This is not really what happens. If you want I can
explain.
v. What do you mean by the "port is then part of the Quantum DB". Not
all plugins maintain a database.
vi. I think that you are missing useful information about the subnets
and gateways. This is also a critical part of the IPAM. When a VM sends
a DHCP request it not only gets and IP but it can also receive host
route information. This is very important.
vii. The DHCP agent dynamics are incorrect (l3 agent, write port
definitions etc.). One of the pain points is that the process is for
each quantum network. This is a scale issue and is being discussed
upstream.
viii. Quantum does not require homogeneous  hardware. This is incorrect.
There is something called a provider network that addresses this.
ix. I do not udnerstand the race when the VM starts. There is none. When
a VM starts it will send a DHCP request. If it does not receive one it
will send another after a timeout. Can you please explain the race?

You do not need to consume Quantum to provide IPAM. You can just run the
dnsmasq and make sure that its interface is connected to the virtual
network. This will provide you with the functionality that you are
looking for. If you want I go can over the dirty details. It will be far
less time than consuming Quantum and you can achieve the same goal. You
just need to be aware when the dnsmasq is running to sent the updates.

IPAM is one of the many features that Quantum has to offer. It will certain
help oVirt.

Thanks
Gary