ovirt-quantum integration

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 14:43:52 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 04:38 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 09:06:14AM -0500, Mike Kolesnik wrote:
>
>>> ix. I do not udnerstand the race when the VM starts. There is none.
>>> When
>>> a VM starts it will send a DHCP request. If it does not receive one
>>> it
>>> will send another after a timeout. Can you please explain the race?
>> This is exactly it, the VM might start requesting DHCP lease before it was updated in the DHCP server, for us it's a race.
> I think the point is that a guest dhclient may give up before Quantum
> allocates it an IP. Maybe, due to timing and guests' behavior, the race
> would not show up, but it is still there.

Yes, this is certainly something that can happen if there are networking
problems or if something in the system is broken. How is it done today
in oVirt? Does someone has to go and manually update the DHCP server?
If the messaging is a real concern then you can piggyback to DHCP
information on the RPC call to VDSM where the DHCP agent will be
running. This will ensure that the information exists in the host file
prior to running the VM.