ovirt-quantum integration

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 13:46:52 UTC 2012

On 28/11/12 14:00, Gary Kotton wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 01:34 PM, Livnat Peer wrote:
>>>>
>> Hi Garry,
>> Thanks for your input, see my comments inline.
>>
>> Livnat

I did not review security group and floating IP provided by quantum. Can
you please point us to a documentation on these?

>>> For each network that has one or more subnets with DHCP support a
>>> dnsmasq process is created. Please see http://fpaste.org/IHbA/. Here I
>>> have two networks.
>> That's exactly what we have described in the wiki. dnsmasq per network.
>> In the integration with oVirt we planned that the ovirt layer2 driver
>> will not return interface_name where there is no need for the dnsmasq
>> locally on the host.
>
> I do not think that this will work - you will need to attach the dnsmasq
> to the network. At the moment Quantum does not run the dnsmasq on the
> compute nodes. There is a notion of a network node when various services
> can run. One of the issues that we are dealing with at the moment is HA
> and scale for the DHCP agents. At the moment only one DHCP agent can
> run. The open issue is that if the DHCP agent sees thousands of networks
> then it will create dnsmasq process for each network killing the node
> local resources.

That's exactly the problems we addressed in our proposal.
In the integration proposal we'll deploy the DHCP-Agent on the hosts
(where and when is defined via the the setupDHCP API we added to oVirt),
and we'll have more than one DHCP Agent...each DHCP Agent will manage
the networks available on the host it is deployed on.
The wiki page describes how we intend to do it.
We actually leverage the fact that the DHCP Agent and the Quantum
service don't have to be co-located on the same machine and added some
logic in oVirt where and when to deploy the DHCP Agent.

The DHCP Agent will get notification on each network created in Quantum
but when delegating the call to the layer 2 (oVirt) driver we'll create
devices only for the networks we'd like to control from that DHCP
instance. In case we won't create a device we would like the DHCP Agent
to avoid spawning a dnsmasq (which is the code we'll contribute to Quantum).

>> This requires a patch to Quantum that in case the driver returns empty
>> device name the dnsmasq won't be started.
>
> I am not sure that I understand. The DHCP agent has to create a device
> to interface with the outside world. If the device fails to be created
> then the dnsmasq process will not be spawned.

If the device fails to to be created and an exception is raised then the
dnsmasq is not created  (there is a retry in a loop via the error
handling in the notification layer), but we suggest that if the device
returns an empty device name the DHCP Agent won't spawn a dnsmasq
process as it would have no meaning.
We'll use the above behavior in oVirt driver to control which dnsmask is
spawned on the server the DHCP Agent is deployed on.

>> We'll send a patch for that soon.
>> I added that to the wiki as well.

>>> When you create a network you can indicate which NIC connects to the
>>> outside world. If you look at
>>> http://wiki.openstack.org/ConfigureOpenvswitch then you will see the
>>> bridge mappings. This information is passed via the API.
>> Our understanding is that Quantum IPAM design assumes the DHCP Agent has
>> local access to *ALL* the networks created in quantum.
>
> IPAM is part of the Quantum API. That is, Quantum provides and interface
> for logical ports to be assigned an IP address. The DHCP agent is one
> way of implementing this. The DHCP agent interfaces with the Quantum
> plugin to receive the information that it requires. Currently tyhe DHCP
> agent is able to get information for all networks.
>
>> Per Network it spawns a local dnsmasq and connect it to the network
>> (which should be accessible from within the host on which the DHCP Agent
>> is running on).
>
> The dnsmasq is able to be accessed from all compute nodes on the
> network. From what you are mentioning here is that you guys will be
> taking a hybrid approach to using Quantum. Correct?

I did not understand the question, not sure what you mean by hybrid
approach?

>> This assumption is problematic in the oVirt context and this is the
>> issue we were trying to overcome in the proposed integration.
>
> I am sorry but I am not sure that I understand the issue that you are
> trying to overcome.

It's the same issues you raised above, scalability and the assumption
that there is one hast that has to have connectivity to all the networks
configured in the system.

> In theory more than one DHCP server can run. This is
> how people provide HA. One of the servers will answer. Do you plan to
> have a DHCP agent running on each vdsm node? Nova networking has support
> for a feature like this. It is called multinode. It is something that is
> under discussion in Quantum.

The issue is not related to the DHCP Agent HA.