integrating with quantum - proposal

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 06:18:34 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 09:06 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I'm about to send the proposal I worked on with Kolesnik to the list.
>
> Any political/other objections?
>
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Quantum_IPAM_Integration
>
> We are starting to work on a POC to find the issues we missed in our
> research so far, sending this to the list can get the discussion going.
>
> Livnat

seems like an interesting solution, moving the problem of central dhcp
to a distributed dhcp approach.

so iiuc:
- a per network config to specify if to enable IPAM on the logical
   network.
- ability to specify the ip address ranges per logical network?
- would we be able to set a policy at VM (or vnic) level to specify if
   the vnic is getting the IP from the IPAM, or not?
- do we expect another mode of IP allocation (via the payload)?
- iiuc, quantum would be the one allocating the ip addresses
   themselves. i assume there is an API allowing engine to get these ip
   addresses back to show to admin/user?
- in ec2, the ip address changes every boot. do we expect the IP to be
   reserved per mac address, or to be released when the VM goes down
   (not sure what's the default IPAM behavior).
   i could be confusing the IP behavior of the floating (public) IPs in
   ec2 with the private IPs (which may be durable.
- we'll need to think about the deployment aspects of qunatum service
   and its agents.
- you are designing a "configuration api" by changing the qunatum
   config and restarting the service. as the config file format may
change, it may make sense to put a wrapper script around config changes,
so the implementation of the required config could be change as qunatum
evolves.

looking forward to see something working from all of this.

Thanks,
    Itamar