proposal:supply a way to allow to change ethernet name.

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 10:11:55 UTC 2013

Am Dienstag, den 26.03.2013, 20:13 +0800 schrieb bigclouds:
> hi,all
>     i take the liberty of proposal a feature, give admin the
> opportunity to change ethernet name.
>    my reasones:
> 1.modern server has several ethernets,but traditional ethernet
> naming scheme is hard for people to know what its name represent.
> 2.sometime ethernet name is unpredictable .for example ifc-xxxx is
> lost, having to change a n ew ethernet card. all those can lead
> confusion.

At least for Fedora 19 there is a feature [1] on track 19 which
addresses this problem (If I understood you correctly).
This won't give you the ability to rename the NICs, but the NIC names
won't change.
This is similar to what biosdevname does, but extends it and isn't
limited to Dell machines.

Does this feature help you (when it lands)?

Greetings
fabian

--
[1]