oVirt cluster level test proposal

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 16:21:44 UTC 2013

Am Montag, den 25.03.2013, 18:06 +0800 schrieb Mark Wu:
> Hi guys,
>
> As per the discussion before, we don't have  integrated functional tests
> for oVirt.  So I would like to propose a cluster level test plan.
> Basically, it's composed of igord, cobbler and test cases based on
> engine REST api. Cobbler stores kickstart files, installation images and
> test packages repo.
> Igor is responsible to setup test environment according to the test plan
> and run the test cases inside test host.  I write down a wiki page to
> describe the work flow:
> http://www.ovirt.org/Ovirt_cluster_level_test
>
> @Fabian,  according to my investigation on igor,  it should be not
> difficult to enhance igor to support this proposal.  I would like to get
> your opinion on it.

Hey Mark,

nice to see this overall proposal which covers all components of oVirt.
I've looked at your proposal and basically agree and think that it
should work.
There are a couple of things which ain't completely clear to me or what
I'd like to comment:

* It should be possible that Igor provisions a host with RHEL, Fedora or
CentOS - but I haven't tried it - I suppose there is some work to do to
get this working.

* Do you want to setup both hosts from scratch at each test (Engine Host
and Node (or VDSM enabled OS))?

* The Engine side host will also need to pull in the igor-client (which
communicates with the igor daemon, the daemon is not sshing into the
client [or host under test]).

* We need to decide when an integration test shall be run.
I'd suggest to run any beta or release candidate against each other.

* A couple of notes on the chart:
  - koan is not used.
  - igor doesn't handle the {kickstarts,RPMS} itself

* Don't underestimate the work to write the testcases, testsuites and
plans :)

I nice first step would be to write an igor testplan which sets up Node
and Engine - maybe it even registers the Node.
This 'simple' testsuite will force us to prepare the ground for more
complex testsuites.
I also strongly recommend to do he development with VMs instead of real
hardware.

Greetings
fabian