What's the scalability target of oVirt?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Apr 20 17:51:35 UTC 2013

On 04/15/2013 05:22 PM, Mark Wu wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As we know,  oVirt is not designed for cloud. It targets for private
> datacenter. I heard some scalability problems about oVirt.
> It could be caused by misusing. The workload is too heavy for oVirt
> obviously.  But how can we determine if the load is out of
> range oVirt can handle, or oVirt doesn't scale well as expected because
> of some problem. So what's the scalability target of oVirt?
>
> how many hosts can oVirt manage?

in general, scalability is linear on the engine, so its a matter of how
strong your engine is. you shouldn't have an issue with a few hundred
hosts (but not in same DC).
your db will need more than a single spindle for such a load.

> how many VMs can oVirt manage?

should be in the thousands without an issue as well.

> Is there any declaration about it?

there aren't too many technical limits, just an issue of testing, which
for ovirt means someone in the community trying it at such a scale and
helping the developers resolve issues they tackle which may only
manifest in large scale/loads.