Backup Restore API integration feature page available.

snmishra at linux.vnet.ibm.com snmishra at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 22 16:16:58 UTC 2013

Quoting Michael Pasternak <mpastern at redhat.com>:

> Hi Sharad,
>
> On 04/21/2013 01:42 AM, Sharad Mishra wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Not sure if you had a chance to look at the backup/restore feature
>> wiki page. Let me give you some high level idea on what I am trying
>> to do.
>
> thanks for the "high level"
>

>> 1. When a user wants to backup a VM or disk, he/she issues a
>> command to backup, which may look like 'backup(VM)' and
>> 'backup(disk)'. Internally, this command is broken down
>> to taking snapshot, preparing backup disk, making the disk
>> available to backup server using qemu-nbd etc.
>>
>> 2. There will be a similar call to restore VM or disk .
>> 'restore(VM)' and 'restore(disk)'.
>>
>> My question for you is, how do I go about implementing these rest
>> apis? I need to create an RSDL, what else? Any good patches that
>> show how to add a new call will help.
>
> here how it goes
>
> backup
> ======
>
> in general we expose such capabilities in api via action, for instance
> you can take a look on disk.activate() at [1],
>
> in your case this should be divided to actions on two resources vm/disk., i.e
>
> /api/vms/xxx/backup
>
> /api/vms/xxx/disks/yyy/backup
>
> /api/disks/xxx/backup

Thanks for the explanation Michael.

> q1: the last one is a disk resources that may be not attached to any
> vm, or on opposite
> to be attached in 1:N relation, active/not-active etc., how do you
> plan to expose 'backup'
> here (feature-wise)?

I don't think there is anything special to be done to expose backups
of above mentioned devices. An unattached/1-N/active/not-active should
all be treated the same for backup purposes. The backup will display
the disk ID, alias, VMs attached to (if any) etc. for the backedup disk.

> [1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/3601/
>
> restore
> =======
>
> q1: iiuc there will be > 1 backup to restore from (am i right?) if
> so, you should be
> exposing sub-collection of backups to restore from, and we need to
> model this resource accordingly?

Is there any value in keeping multiple backups? I am leaning  towards
just keeping the latest backup and once a newer backup is available
for the VM/disk, replacing the older one.

Thanks
Sharad