Network traffic shaping.

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 08:12:58 UTC 2013

Hey Giuseppe and everyone else,

Sorry for being late to the party. I've read all the e-mails and have
been rolling the idea around in my head for a couple of days. Here are
my two main thoughts, more UX-oriented, let me know what you think.

1. I would prefer not to be able to create a host network QoS entity,
which doesn't really have any significance as an independent entity.
However, I would like to be able to copy the configuration from one host
to another for the same network, right? So how about we add a
"Copy/Clone from" UI field that lets you choose a host from which to
copy the QoS configuration for that network?

This would appear next to the manual configuration, so users would still
be able to input other custom values if they prefer. Once we do this, we
also won't need to enable to define it on a per-network basis, where it
doesn't really make sense, but we could do with just defining it for
<host,network> pairs (i.e. say in the edit network dialog when attaching
a network to a host NIC).

To further clarify, copying/cloning would be INSTEAD OF creating a
Network QoS through some subtab, naming it, and then picking it in a
list box. There would be no way to create a named host network QoS
configuration.

2. I would prefer to not have to fill six fields to define QoS. Even if
there are default values to these fields, it makes it look complicated.
I think these six values could be replaced by just one typical value for
the network's traffic. The six-field configuration would still be
accessible somehow, but I don't want it to be necessary.

Regarding the empty values discussion, I'm not saying to leave the
values empty. I get why we want to fill them. But fill them ourselves in
some reasonable way that users won't be aware of unless they go into
advanced settings.

An alternative might be to allow two values, one for inbound traffic and
another for outbound traffic. However, I think this would only be
necessary if a user wants to actually manage both inbound and outbound
traffic in detail, which sounds to me like the uncommon use case. In
general people would just want to avoid host traffic, either inbound or
outbound, being taken over by one network. And again, distinguishing
between inbound and outbound would still be accessible through some
advanced settings.

Lior.