Network traffic shaping.

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 11:19:41 UTC 2013

On 08/08/13 13:48, Giuseppe Vallarelli wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, I saw that discussion and I see Doron's point. I just wanna
clarify that all 6 values would still be set as per those comments - but
this assignment would be transparent to the users, unless they access
the "advanced settings" (still not sure how that should be accessed).

> | I think these six values could be replaced by just one typical value for
> | the network's traffic. The six-field configuration would still be
> | accessible somehow, but I don't want it to be necessary.
>
> +1
>

> | Regarding the empty values discussion, I'm not saying to leave the
> | values empty. I get why we want to fill them. But fill them ourselves in
> | some reasonable way that users won't be aware of unless they go into
> | advanced settings.
> |
> | An alternative might be to allow two values, one for inbound traffic and
> | another for outbound traffic. However, I think this would only be
> | necessary if a user wants to actually manage both inbound and outbound
> | traffic in detail, which sounds to me like the uncommon use case. In
> | general people would just want to avoid host traffic, either inbound or
> | outbound, being taken over by one network.
>
> That's a good idea. My only concern is how does it fit with QoS in the
> engine as a whole ? It's almost like we have different definitions of QoS,
> which might be fine but maybe we want to find a different naming convention.

I'm all for a different naming convention anyway, as we do not really
provide network QoS at the moment - networks are DC-wide entities and we
can't guarantee anything about what happens when packets leave the host.
I actually think "Host Traffic Shaping" is pretty good, I would maybe
call it "Host Traffic Control" because control is a simpler word to
fathom than shaping.