Networks label feature

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sun Dec 8 14:06:17 UTC 2013

On 12/08/2013 03:22 PM, Moti Asayag wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Another network feature planned for ovirt-engine-3.4 is
> the network labels [1].
>
> Please review and share your feedbacks.
>
> [1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/NetworkLabels
>
> Thanks,
> Moti

Hi Moti,

Thanks for writing a detailed feature page, good work.

I have a few questions -

1. What does it mean to rename a network label. How does it work with
the fact that label is not a managed entity.
"Renaming a network label" - It seems from the document that you meant
edit network label (instead of rename), and why do we want to add that
unpredictable action in the first phase? I would start without this option.

2. on the 'More examples' section you give an example with two labels on
a single network while at the beginning of the page you specified that
only one label is supported on a network.

3. Do you plan to have the 'Apply to all hosts' check box? in the add
label section is says -"no further indication is required " and then on
the delete label it says - "The property 'Apply to all hosts' will be
reused"

4. Why does the delete label action is not symmetric with add label?
specifically why "Deleting the label from the host interface will not
cause the removal of the networks.."?

5."Pre-'Setup Networks' execution"
It looks to me that we are playing catch 22 with the user there :)
If the user manually removed the network, although he labeled the NIC
then he does not expect the engine to add it again automatically on next
setup network.
I understand the need for exceptions but in this case I would start with
implementing this feature as simple as possible (it is already
complicated enough). So my suggestion is do not let the user remove the
network manually, if he want s to manage this NIC as an exception then
he needs to remove the label.

In this specific case I think it would make the behavior more
predictable to the user which is crucial (at least for the first phase)
for such a complicated feature IMO.

6. How does the system reflect failures? If we added a label to a new
network and we failed to provisioned it on the host, how will the user
know about this? Can you please this to the feature page.

7. After reading this page I wonder why not use the existing object Tag
that we have for labeling the networks and NICs?

Livnat