oVirt functional test suites

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 14:43:36 UTC 2013

Am Montag, den 04.02.2013, 21:52 +0800 schrieb Mark Wu:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a vdsm developer. Recently I find there're many ongoing
> refactorings and improvements in vdsm code. From the bugs reported, we
> can see that unit tests just focus on a unit of code, and can't catch
> integration errors or broad system level errors.   So we need a thorough
> functional test suites for vdsm. But the build environment is very
> limited to run functional tests. It has a lot of dependencies  on the
> external setup, like storage server.
>
> I would like to know  how the engine side perform functional tests. Is
> there any existing functional test suites based engine rest api? If yes,
> I think it's great to use it for vdsm's functional tests. We could build
> up a standard test env on physical machiness or vms for the test suites
> by some kickstart files. It also can be integrate into Jenkins.

Hey,

with oVirt Node we've had a similar problem. That functional tets
required a running system (VM or real hardware). We've come up with igor
[0], which prepares VMs or real systems using PXE and custom kernel
arguments. Afterwards a client is run on the freshly created system to
run our functional tests. Basically you can point igor to an ISO which
is being booted using custom kernel arguments, so you should also be
able to install RHEL or Fedora using this method (I've never tried it
though ..).

We've also integrated this tests into Jenkins (currently only run RH
internal, b/c of upstream limitations [which might have changed by
now]).

Greetings
fabian

[0] https://gitorious.org/ovirt/igord