Direct Host Address

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Feb 10 15:26:42 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi All,
>
> Below please find a short wiki page regarding the Direct Host Address
> feature, which will allow the admin to define a separate "direct" IP
> address on a host, for SSH purposes only.
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/DirectHostAddress
>
> Would love to here your comments.

Hi Muli,

Sounds good overall, here are my comments:

In 'Detailed Description':

"When adding a host, admin sets the host address. The engine uses this address to manage the host in two ways. The first is via SSH for host installation, and the second is via xml-rpc for any other action."

What do you mean "the second is via xml-rpc"..? What commands will go over this channel?

"Current behaviour assumes the network interface with the specified address is configured properly in the engine although this may not be the case initially"

I don't understand what does this mean, which interface are you referring to and what does it have to do with being configured in the engine?
The next line is also unclear to me:
"The direct address allows the engine to connect to the host, without knowing the exact configuration of the network interface that has the address. "

In 'Motivation':

"To allow another route to the host to a network interface other than the one used for the management network, since that network interface may need to be configured in the engine first."

I would say simply that the management traffic might go over a channel which requires connectivity  (e.g. VLAN) with the engine to be established prior to being able to communicate with the host.