feature suggestion: migration network

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 23:43:55 UTC 2013

On 02/10/2013 11:49 AM, Igor Lvovsky wrote:
>    Hi,
> I would like to summarize migration network discussion.
> Please refer to wiki page http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Migration_Network
> for more details

1. Could you explain the motivation of not setting the migration role
when migration is running ?
"The "migration" role can be granted or taken on-the-fly, when hosts are
active, as long as there are no currently-migrating VMs. "

2. dstqemu - should the engine send the migration network ip or the
migration network name and let vdsm resolves the address ?

3. Error handling: regarding the unpleasant surprise of an attempt to
migrate a VM to a host which doesn't have the migration network - any
new error should be received from vdsm for that ?

4. Could we get to a point in which we don't have a network with a
migration role ? We can rely on the management network, but what if
network 'red' was selected to be a migration network and now it is being
deleted? As i see it there are 3 options:
1. We block the operation and ask to select other migration network.
2. We automatically define the management network as the migration network.
3. We do nothing. On VM migration we'll analyse  the migration network
(dynamically select the default network).