CentOS 6 repo for oVirt

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Feb 28 19:53:51 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 07:11 PM, Rocky Craig wrote:
> Johnny,
>
> A few days ago you said
>
> > I currently maintain the testing CentOS-6 oVirt repository.....
> > I am just getting ready to make this work with the oVirt 3.2 release.
>
> Can you divulge a little more precision on your time frame?
>
> I've just spent a lot of February getting ovirt-engine to build
> and run on CentOS 6.2 with OpenJDK 1.6.  My approach was
> similar to that for (your) oVirt 3.1 work.
>
> If your timeframe is "soon" (like March), I'd rather put my
> efforts aside and wait for a more sanctioned release done
> by people who know what they're doing :-)

Soon is basically going to be the first thing after CentOS-6.4 is
released and past the initial early problem stages.  So, some time in
mid March to begin is certainly possible.

I have not completely decided yet as I have to research requirements,
but my initial inclination is to build everything that will do so with
OpenJDK 1.7 .. including items being pulled in from the OS.  I know
OpenJDK 1.6 will continue to get support from Red Hat, but Oracle is
stopping support for Java 6, so moving to OpenJDK 1.7 seems like a good
move to me.  Some of the system packages will only build with
java-1.5.0-gcj, but for things that build with and use JDK, using 1.7.0
(so 3 versions are not needed) will be the goal.