[vdsm] ATTN: Project Maintainers: Code Freeze/Branch/Beta Build deadlines

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 13:11:58 UTC 2013

Hello Mike and all,

I am little confused with the release engineering of oVirt.

Let me describe what I know about the release engineering of an upstream project, and please tell how we are different and why.

1. Downstream schedules are not relevant to upstream project and vise versa.

2. Upstream project releases its sources and optionally binaries in milestones.

3. Milestone are determine by upstream project and upstream project, and has several standard, for example:

package-2.0.0_alpha
package-2.0.0_alpha1
package-2.0.0_beta
package-2.0.0_beta1
package-2.0.0_beta2
package-2.0.0_rc
package-2.0.0_rc1
package-2.0.0_rc2
package-2.0.0_rc3
package-2.0.0_rc4
package-2.0.0

Or:

1.99.1
1.99.2
1.99.3
1.99.4
2.0.0

4. Binaries are built over the *source tarball* released at the milestones. The important artifact is the source tarball, it is the source of all good and evil.

5. Downstream may adopt / modify / re-write packaging but it will use the release source tarball at their choice of milestone, probably it won't adopt pre-release version.

In case of oVirt, I do understand the the release schedule is tight between fedora and oVirt as it is the only supported distribution. However, I do expect that the sources will have similar to the above cycle, and the formal build will be produced out of the sources.

Alon