[vdsm] ATTN: Project Maintainers: Code Freeze/Branch/Beta Build deadlines

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 15:25:08 UTC 2013

Hi Alon,

On 01/10/2013 04:07 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Just to clarify some terms.... as I got some feedback of confusion.
>
> oVirt is an UPSTREAM project, it is the source origin (manufacturer).
>
> Fedora is a DOWNSTREAM to oVirt, it is a distribution that provides the oVirt product.

My understanding is that Fedora is very much an upstream of oVirt Node,
in that it provides a component of what becomes oVirt Node.

I would not call the OS downstream in general... downstream is "code
flows there from somewhere else" - commercially sold products and
services around integrated/patched/nicely packages open source code.
Whereas distributions are aggregations of components. They're delivery
mechanisms. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a downstream of Fedora, and an
upstream for CentOS in some sense, but I don't think it's a downstream
of (say) MySQL. It's just a delivery channel.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13