[vdsm] ATTN: Project Maintainers: Code Freeze/Branch/Beta Build deadlines

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 20:41:50 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 10:22 AM, Dave Neary wrote:

> Is VDSM not considered part of oVirt? It feels like it should be, but
> it's hosted on a different site (as is its mailing list).

I'd have to dig through the history to be sure, but I think we never
made a *requirement* that a component of the oVirt release be hosted
partially or entirely on *.ovirt.org infrastructure.

As each of the sub-projects are somewhat independently run, they could
(or should) have the right to choose where they want to host services,
within reason. "Within reason" would include e.g. "git yes, svn no - but
not necessarily requiring git.ovirt.org."

What happens when we get a project that is outside of oVirt but wants to
be part of the family? Do we require it to use only *.ovirt.org
infrastructure of participation as primary?

http://www.ovirt.org/Governance states:

"The oVirt is a collection of subprojects, each of which shares a
framework for its governance, and commits to a common release schedule,
but which has its own set of maintainers and community communication
channels."

Nothing on that page requires sub-projects to use oVirt infrastructure.
VDSM uses the governance and release schedule for oVirt, so it matches
the requirement.

IMO, I want people to use *.ovirt.org because it's the best location for
their code, not because they are required. But this whole thing sounds
like a Board decision to make - which discussion would include the voice
& vote of the VDSM maintainer (Ayal Baron.)

- Karsten