Few questions on Backup Restore API implmn.

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Sun Jun 9 07:48:07 UTC 2013

Hi Ayal,

On 06/07/2013 02:10 AM, Ayal Baron wrote:

> [...]

in this case this exposure is relevant for the backup and is a part of the
disk backup process.

> There can be a horde of uses for this, off the top of my head:
> 1. obviously backup
> 2. scan disk for viruses externally
> 3. scan disk for inventory management
> There will be many more which users come up with.

so?, i can't see why this is relevant? you can reuse this code in the backend later
when you need it for the new functionalities, - this is basic coding practice, and
we do that across the backend by reusing internal commands.

i can give you at least one example where bad design of the backend command
forces backend clients such as api, UI, etc. to implement same logic several
times manually without having any ability to perform atomic operation against
a backend:

snapshot.restore()
==================

you have to perform two separate steps in api against a backend:

1. VdcActionType.TryBackToAllSnapshotsOfVm
2. VdcActionType.RestoreAllSnapshots

well, we all developers and can do it once so api/UI/etc. users will see this as a
single operation and save the pain of learning restore() logic and running two
separate commands for restore to happen.

in your case this much worse, case you expect every api user to *learn vendor
specific* logic for backup/foo() and implement the steps + understand the responses
of each step and act accordingly (and i'm not even mentioning the atomic ops. here)

i apologise, but this is a bad thing to do, this is not how public api should look like.

> Designing the API around the specific usage (policy) is limiting and will lead to a lot more API calls due to the need to add new ones for every new usage someone thinks of.

that's what you suggested to begin with (and i'm opposed to it) -
e.g leaving "exposer of existing disk to a virt-app / physical appliance"
in the api

> The API should provide users with useful mechanisms.
> In this case what we need is the ability to get a point in time of a disk available for read (and in some cases write) on one of the hosts (and later on possibly over the net as well, assuming we secure it).
> I do not always want to take a snapshot for example, I want to be able to use the API to expose an existing snapshot.
> Once we add live merge, user may *choose* to merge immediately after backup is finished or to keep the snapshot (policy).

these all are implementation details that can be easily hidden by adding
extra parameters to parameters holder as i described bellow,

actually this is exactly where abstraction shines and only proves my point.