[MoM] Minimum guaranteed memory

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 16:30:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am working on a feature that will ensure that the VMs will have some configurable minimum amount of memory available regardless of the ballooning. The MoM changes I have so far are these two:

http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/15800/ - This one teaches min and max functions to the MoM policy parser
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/15801/ - This one adds a new balloon_min property to accomplish the task

I also have a related patch proposed for vdsm (http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/15799/).

The reason I am posting here is that I would like to talk about what should happen when MoM is running standalone without VDSM. The patch uses hardcoded 0 for the balloon_min in that case, but it might be nicer to read some value from libvirt's metadata for the controlled VM instead.

I haven't seen any places where we would be using it so I tried to invent my own. I would like to propose the following snippet:

<metadata>
    <ovirt>
        <guaranteedmemory>value_in_KiB</guaranteedmemory>
    </ovirt>
</metadata>

What do you think?

--