Backup Restore API integration feature page available.

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Mar 10 15:33:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 27/02/2013 22:34, snmishra at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     Please take a look at the feature page and provide feedback.
> >     This is
> > still a work in progress and more details will be added as we make
> > progress.
> >
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Backup-Restore_API_Integration
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharad Mishra
> >

> would be great to close this gap.
> a few questions:
> - do we differentiate between the backup snapshots and the regular
>    snapshots?
>    i.e., can user see them?

yes (but only while backup is not running)

> delete them?

yes (but only while backup is not running)

> revert to a snapshot before
>    them?

yes (but only while backup is not running)

>    what happens if they go stale since backup process failed/broke -
>    can
>    admin intervene and clean them up?

I'm not sure what you mean by stale as the snapshot is independent of the backup.
If backup fails either backup system or admin need to clean up by calling the teardown API call (specific name tbd)

> - in 'prepare backup disk', there is a lock disk phase. when is the
>    lock released? which operations are blocked by this lock?

released when teardown issued (as described above).  Operations that are blocked depend on engine, i.e. all operations that cannot run while disk is locked.  Specifically merge snapshot/delete disk but due to other limitations (not backup related) there will probably be other operations as well.

> - the flow seems to be directed at a running guest ('live snapshot')
> -
>    what happens if the guest to be backed up isn't currently running?

snapshot today is 'liveness' agnostic.  This would be the same.  The only question is do we create a snapshot when a VM is not running or not.  For simplicity sake we would (V1) but this could be optimized so that going forward we'd create the snapshot only if the user tries to run the VM while it is being backed up.

> - i'm missing a bit more details on the exact flow, as it happens on
>    each component.
> -- on which node is the nbd launched / consumed

the node where the backup app is running (be it at physical layer or virt appliance)
This is probably a dedicated backup host (single host cluster or something) to avoid running any VM other than the virt-appliance.
But we do not need to and should not limit this imo (i.e. it would be a 'best practices' recommendation)