OpenStack Quantum integration feature page for 3.3

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 13:12:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 04:23:32AM -0400, Mike Kolesnik wrote:
> [...]

So *Engine* cannot tell if a host is controllable by the defined quantum
server, and therefore it has to assume that everything is all right,
putting this burden on the end user.

Garry, does Quantum provide any means to tell - ahead of time - if
provisioning a virtual network to a specific work is expected to
succeed? Or, let's say, that the host is utterly misconfigured and is
unknown to Quantum? Can it at least be done for plugins with host
agents?

> It is not quite the same as the example you gave about "green" network.

Of course. My "green" example was only showing that we can never really
tell that a future VM would see its required network.

> > A quote from "Network provisioning":
> >
> > > The network can be exported from oVirt into the network provider,
> > > but
> > > from that moment on it will be as if the network was discovered
> > > from
> > > the provider - i.e. if it goes out of sync, that's OK from oVirt's
> > > perspective.
> >
> > Could you explain what does "exporting a network from oVirt" means?
> > Do you
> > plan an API for that?
>
> Yes, we plan to be able to create a network on the provider via oVirt,
> instead of having the user do it via the Quantum API.

Could you define this "export" term on the feature page, or state which
Quantum API is going to be used for it?

> > Could you elaborate on why this feature depends on
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Device_Custom_Properties ?
>
> We need this to specify custom properties per vNIC also for hot
> plug/wire.  Otherwise we won't be able to support these features for
> externally provided networks.

Which custom properties would you need? Are they going to depend on the
specific quatum vif type?

> > This feature heavily depends on http://www.ovirt.org/Network_Provider
>
> Yes, it is an elaboration of the feture, not something independent.

To me, this separtion incur confusion. The fact that it happens for many
other features (http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Design/) only makes it
worse ;-)