feature suggestion: initial generation of management network

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Thu May 9 14:55:00 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Yes.

> If reboot-after-initial-net-config is crucial, we would need to add a
> special verb for that (or use the fenceNode verb if available).
>

> However, I am not sure that this reboot is unavoidable.
> Originally the reboot had two important goal:
> - make sure that the updated kernel is running
> - make sure that the network, which we tweak during bootstrap, is
>   accessible after boot
>
> Nowadays, the kernels does not change THAT often, for all ovirt can
> matter. running an oldish kernel is not the end of the world.
>
> And with Moti's feature implemented, we no longer tweak net config
> blindly during boot. We use a well-define setupNetwork API, with a
> well-tested rollback mechanism.
>
> The bottom line is, that in my opinion, reboot-after-install can be
> skipped these days.

I agree.

The current design of ovirt-host-deploy fully supports a deployment cycle without requiring a reboot.
We no longer update kernel command-line, nor performing changes without activating them at runtime.
The bridge setup was the one bit that was risky and could not be rolled back cleanly without re-implementation of large chunk of engine logic.

The risk of a deployed system (without bridge) to be unresponsive after reboot is minimum.

1. iptables rules are already active.
2. udev rules are active.
3. vdsm is up.

The major risk is basically if some dependency package was UPDATED during the installation of vdsm, while its service/consumer is already running, then we are running a host with the old software and there is a chance that after reboot with the new software the host will fail.

I think that the decision to reboot host should be delegated to administrator, adding vdsm verb to reboot is usable. This way admin will be able to take a host to maintenance mode and reboot, and we can add checkbox to the add host dialog '[x] reboot', rebooting the host at the end of the sequence. I think the default should be off.