feature suggestion: initial generation of management network

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Sun May 12 18:59:22 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

I must reply that, cannot help it... :)))
What if the admin just login to the server and just rebooted?
What if there is power failure?
What if there is provisioning infrastructure that manages the servers in parallel of ovirt and it decides to reboot?
We should deal with that in any case...
And doing this via VDSM has only advantages, as VDSM is aware of the reboot request and can take safety measures to complete it successfully without losing information nor state.

> This is the reason I have suggested reboot over SSH which is different.

Right, but we can do about 40% (I think closer to 80%) of VDSM functionality via SSH, right?

> And I would argue that host deploy is here to stay hence the dependency in
> SSH is here to stay.

There are talks to move to standard provisioning framework such as puppet or even foreman... not sure what the future is.