add blkIoTune support for a specific device at vm creation

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu May 23 15:36:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:55:26AM -0400, Doron Fediuck wrote:
> [...]

As far as I know, there's nothing written on the Engine side, yet.

And in my opinion, we can aim low, and have a very minimalistic
implementation, that give a thin GUI for each block device, in where
these two parameters can be edited, and passed to Vdsm on vmCreate,
hotplug, and vmUpdateDevice.

Obviously, such an implementation affects only in the vDisk level; the
io throttling would follow the VM to the destination node, regardless of
other readers/writers on that host. This is suboptimal; it would be
cooler to have a policy that provides relative io priority to different
vDisks/VMs/users. But in my opinion, it can wait for a second phase.

I'm fine with the suggested Engine/Vdsm API (though I'd try to be even
more just-like-libvirt and call it "iotune"). But I'm no Engine expert
to judge - the may wnat to hide it in their specParam map.

I'd love to see a feature page written for this, anyway!

Dan.