Multiple Gateways 3.3 Feature

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed May 29 15:26:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 04:52:00PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Assaf,
>
> On 05/27/2013 09:11 AM, Assaf Muller wrote:
> > The multiple gateways feature is planned for 3.3.
> >
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Multiple_Gateways
>
> It's really late in the cycle to start work on a feature targeting 3.3 -
> can you explain why this feature is such a high priority, please?

We had multiple users requesting the ability to set the gateway of
display networks. Without it, spice/vnc clients cannot sit outside of
the ovirt network, which kinda hampers the whole point of spice, being a
really-remote desktop protocol.

People are hacking initscripts' route-* and rule-* files below Vdsm's
feet to enable this. That's not healthy. This feature is all about
automating this, and allowing it to inegrate with dynamic addresses
properly.

> Also, do you have some idea when it might be release ready?

The stated date 2013-06-09 of beta readiness is a bit agressive, but I
am confident that this feature would be ready for the now-postponed date
of ovirt-3.3 (check point at 2013-06-15).

Nonetheless, we do need proper review and discussion of the suggested
feature. If something nasty pops up during the review, I would have to
reconsider.

Dan.