Thin Client connection brokering (VDI)

Bob bob at doolittle.us.com
Sun Oct 13 18:49:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm exploring thin client connections to oVirt in a VDI context, and
after having read the overviews I've found I still have some questions,
and hope you can point me to the right place for more information.

It appears that oVirt supports a VDI model where thin client sessions
can be load balanced to a set of VMs, or directed to VMs with existing
sessions for the user. Is this correct?

At what level of the architecture does the connection brokering take
place (i.e. where is it determined which VM a thin client should be
connected to, and what pieces of the system are involved)? Can it work
for both VNC and SPICE based clients?

If a developer were interested in adding support for connection
brokering of new thin client protocols, where would they start looking?

Pointers to relevant documentation or mailing lists would be much
appreciated. Is this more of an engine or a node question (or does it
span both)?

Thanks!

-Bob Doolittle