Thin Client connection brokering (VDI)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 16:43:20 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 12:36 PM, Bob Doolittle wrote:
> Let's think about building a SPICE-based thin client for a moment. What
> minimum set of basic capabilities would it require (i.e. how thin could
> it be) in order to get an experience similar to the User Portal:
> - authenticate
> - allocate a new VM from a Pool
> - select from existing VMs
>
> and then of course connect to the VM in question.
>
> It would clearly need more than just the SPICE protocol, since that's
> all about talking to the VM once it is running. What else?
>
> Most VDI models (e.g. VMware, Citrix, Sun Ray, etc) call this Connection
> Brokering or Session Brokering. They might have a simple GUI in the
> client to authenticate the user using some protocol to communicate to an
> authentication manager of some sort, and then they communicate via a
> protocol to the Broker to discover and finally connect to VMs. What's
> the model for a SPICE client?

well, connection brokering to me is if the session is brokered.
in this case, you're mostly talking about adding to the client ability
to choose the destination VM to connect to. maybe start/stop it.

gnome-boxes is doing this from client side.
we have sample user portals in java/ruby/python for the code you'd need[1]
and the libgovirt for C which iirc is what gnome-boxes uses.

does this cover the question/use case?

thanks,
    Itamar

[1]http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=samples-portals.git;a=tree