Single Disk Snapshot Feature

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Mon Jan 6 19:09:44 UTC 2014

Daniel,

I went through the feature page and I have some questions ( mainly from the user experience perspective) that may be about the feature or about snapshots itself..not sure -

1. Will the ability to choose disks be available only when I click on 'Create Snapshot' button on the tool bar or even when I right click an existing snapshot and trigger the create snapshot flow?

2. I am a little concerned about the Custom preview option in terms of how intuitive that might be. Would it be more intuitive if there was a way for the user to select multiple snapshots in the list and then click preview to get all those selected snapshots as rows with disk selection possible? My concern is that even though 'Preview' and 'Custom preview' are presented together, they behave differently - preview will send them to the preview flow for that single snapshot while, the custom preview dialog is really independent of any row selection of the snapshot list. If the multiple selection option I described will not work for any reason, then I think having a separate button with a more descriptive name such as 'Hybrid Snapshot' might help.

3. In the custom preview dialog, what is the column with the radio button and is that somehow related with row selection? Right now, it is creating confusion for me because it seems like I pick a snapshot with this radio button in addition to the row highlighting and then that expectation falls apart since I am able to select across rows on the disks columns. Maybe what is needed here is to remove the row highlighting for starters and also pull out the display(?) column out of the list and have a single select drop down at the bottom of the dialog so that in the grid, all you are doing is disk selection. Or maybe at least move the radio button column to the right, so it doesn't confuse with selection.

4. Also, I wanted to know how many disks can we expect per row on an avg? I ask to see if the matrix format is the most suitable or if we need to think of other layouts...

Thanks
Malini