RESEND: oVirt Sub Project - Mobile Manager Application

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 18:06:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 01:51:37PM -0400, Isaac Christoffersen wrote:

> Vizuri has been working on a Mobile application that interfaces with the
> RHEVM API and allows Administrators to manage RHEV via their tablet or
> Smartphone.  The application is targeted to run on iPhone, iPad and
> Android devices, but our current Proof of concept has only been tested
> on Android devices.  Our next iteration is focused on iOS compatibility
> and is progressing well.
>
> Our intention has always been to open source this project and it seems
> like an oVirt subproject would be the perfect place for this.
>
> Would this be a good sub-project candidate and what steps would we need
> to take?

Well, I'm not on the Board to help there, but it sounds like a great
idea to pursue. While you are open sourcing, you might find some of
the materials here helpful:

http://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/Organizing_a_community_-_checklist

http://bit.ly/TOSWWikiUpstream

That is the upstream where my team at Red Hat works on this sort of
"how to do things the open source way while teaching others to do the
same"-material. One item I am cleaning up for putting upstream is the
process we use to help open source projects at Red Hat - the process I
used when checking that this oVirt open sourcing effort hit the right
points. (No worries, it does, and then some!) If it might help you
all, let me know, and I'll turn up the burner under that upstreaming.

cheers - Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org