Corporate status of oVirt and sub-projects

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 26 21:00:05 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 03:27 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Right now we will not setup a foundation, however the goal as a
> community is to provide support for subprojects, help direct marketing etc.
>
> We can pretty much provide all the value for sub-projects without a
> foundation. If we get to the point we believe we need a foundation to
> better develop the ece-system we can create one, however based on past
> experience I don't think we will need one.

Can you elaborate on that?

We're actually feeling pains from not having a foundation with QEMU.  US tax law
is complex and unforgiving so when it comes to thinks like accepting donations,
a foundation is really needed.

A concrete example is something like Google Summer of Code.  As part of the
program, Google pays each organization a small stipend which requires the
organization to generate a purchase order.  So you need some organization that
can generate the PO, and then can also cover travel/pay out stipends.

If any oVirt project decides to participate in GSoC, this will come up.  There
are similar problems in accepting donations from other organizations and/or
trying to sponsor travel.

Both Apache and Eclipse are 501(c)3 and 501(c)6 foundations respectively.
Almost every other foundation has some sort of non-profit status too[1].

[1] http://flossfoundations.org/foundation-directory

Regards,

Anthony Liguori