Adding Memory Overcommitment Manager (MOM) to oVirt

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 14:02:23 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> > > So what's the benefit of a separate MOM vs an integrated MOM
> > > inside
> > > of VDSM?
> >
> > I'd agree this is really VM policy which should be handled by VDSM.
>
> It's pretty simple. MOM does something valuable today that VDSM
> doesn't do. An integrated MOM inside of VDSM doesn't exist. If VDSM
> wants to incorporate MOM that's great. But how is the existence of
> VDSM an argument against contributing MOM source code to the oVirt
> community? Am I missing something?

No one is against accepting MOM into oVirt, on the contrary, we really want it.
The only question is do we want to assimilate the code into vdsm or manage it as a separate project.
And the question here for me is just whether this would have other consumers (in which case a separate project could make sense) or would vdsm be the only user (in which case it at most should be a submodule).

> On a related point, there are good examples that argue for
> consolidating function inside a single daemon, and there are good
> counterexamples. It's not always true that every node policy
> function should be integrated within a single daemon. It probably
> makes sense in this case. But again, VDSM doesn't do what MOM does
> today, which is another argument in favor of contributing MOM and
> letting the community work with it.

vdsm today does integrate (in a degenerated way) with ksm today (which is part of what mom does), as mentioned before we're going to tweak page cache settings for 3.0GA and in general vdsm does a lot of policy management and will do a lot more.
Obviously if vdsm did everything that mom does, then mom wouldn't be interesting at all.