Process for adding sub projects (Re: Adding Memory Overcommitment Manager (MOM) to oVirt)

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 27 14:27:57 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 08:59 AM, Andrew Cathrow wrote:
> Sorry, I should have given a multi line reply, I was thinking a few steps ahead.
>
> Bringing MOM under the oVirt umbrella would be a great thing - whether that's as a standalone project or as part of VDSM.
>
> Personally I believe it will/should end up as part of VDSM, but either way - if VDSM leverages MOM (like it leverages libvirt) or if it gets merged into VDSM this should happen under the oVirt umbrella.
>
> Adding MOM to oVirt would be great and also helps to show momentum, maybe it remains standalone or maybe it becomes part of VDSM, either way the path forward should start with adding the project into oVirt.

I think this discussion highlights the need for a bit more structure for adding
a sub project.  I would like to propose the following:

1) Project posts an overview page, including scope and short term roadmap to
ovirt.org wiki.  That page is then copied as a mail to board at ovirt

2) There is an official comment period that lasts for a fixed period of time
(2-4 weeks?).  This time period allows for questions to be enhanced, and the
wiki to be improved.

3) At any point in this time period, the proposal can be officially withdrawn.

4) At the end of the period, there is a final call for comments before a vote
takes place.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori