Process for adding sub projects (Re: Adding Memory Overcommitment Manager (MOM) to oVirt)

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 27 14:43:42 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 09:32 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 10:27 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> I think this discussion highlights the need for a bit more structure
>> for adding a sub project.  I would like to propose the following:
>>
>> 1) Project posts an overview page, including scope and short term
>> roadmap to ovirt.org wiki.  That page is then copied as a mail to
>> board at ovirt
>>
>> 2) There is an official comment period that lasts for a fixed period
>> of time (2-4 weeks?).  This time period allows for questions to be
>> enhanced, and the wiki to be improved.
>>
>> 3) At any point in this time period, the proposal can be officially
>> withdrawn.
>>
>> 4) At the end of the period, there is a final call for comments before
>> a vote takes place.
>
> I like.  Don't think we need 2-4 weeks.  maybe say discuss till basic
> agreement is reached. could be 24 hours, could be weeks.

The other thing I was thinking is that could have Acked-by's and wait to get N
Acked-by's before going to a vote.

The reason for having a time period was to give people time to actually look at
code and read proposals instead of just immediately jumping into a heated
debate.  I think forcing a little think time is a good thing.

> Let's also add the basic questions for the new project to answer, and
> turn this into an additional page on the site.

Do we have a wiki ETA?  I'd be happy to start putting together questions.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori