[VOTE] Inclusion of memory overcommit manager

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 27 19:13:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 02:48:42PM -0400, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 02:34 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > -0.9
> >
> > I don't think we should rush into adding projects.  I think there's an
> > open question of whether MOM should be folded into VDSM or whether it
> > should be stand alone.
> >
> > I'd like to see a roadmap for either integrating into VDSM or a clear
> > (agreed upon) description of what components own what functionality.
> >
> > My concern is that having MOM be an oVirt project would discourage
> > attempts to merge MOM into VDSM.
>
> -1
>
> I tend to agree here.  I think adding the functionality from MOM into
> VDSM makes a lot of sense, but if we go through the process of adding a
> formal sub-project to oVirt only to have the functionality merged into
> VDSM, then setting up the separate infrastructure (mailing lists,
> maintainers, etc) seems like a lot of overhead that would need to be undone.
>
> I suppose the crux of it is: If MOM is applicable only to being
> integrated with VDSM, then let's do that and the MOM developers can
> become part of the VDSM team.  If it it's useful outside of the context
> of VDSM, where else might it be used?  Let's figure that out first
> before we make a decision here.

I have been approached with questions by several people who are using MOM in
their current environments as a simple auto-ballooning/KSM daemon.  I am not
certain that these people are all ready to adopt oVirt tomorrow and would be
content to continue using MOM as a standalone tool.  On another thread I also
posed the idea that MOM could be deployed infrastructure that will not be
running VDSM (eg. a NFS server).  At this time, it seems to make the most sense
to keep the two projects separate and begin to discuss VDSM's dynamic tuning
requirements.

> So I vote -1 for the time being, but am open to further debate on this
> topic.

Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center