Next Release Planning

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 21:30:54 UTC 2012

On 08/21/2012 12:20 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Beyond the release criteria, there's the main goal of the release - what
>>> is the major problem oVirt users have that we can fix for the next
>>> release, for example?
> <snip>
>
>> my view - that would be great, but such goals should be suggested by
>> someone also committing to delivering them per the planned schedule.
>
> I agree - it's one of the things which I've found tricky to understand
> re the release manager role - the project maintainer is the one who
> should, I think, be setting the scope of the release, and the release
> manager is merely ensuring that everyone is aware of where we are within
> that scope.
>
> Since 3.1 is my first oVirt release, perhaps someone could explain how
> the scope of the 3.1 release was decided after the 3.0 release, and how
> we fared against that original plan during the release cycle?

we didn't define a scope for 3.1. people suggested features during the
version and we did some fine tuning in the end on timing since some
seemed worth the extra time to close/stabilize them.

in general, I think we should define the schedule for 3.2, then see
which features people would suggest to try and make the timeframe.

in general, I think it should be a 3-month version (we said we wanted to
move to 6 months cycle after the first few versions. I think we should
stay on 3 months especially since 3.1 took longer to get the final
blockers out and until released).