Next Release Planning

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 16:34:14 UTC 2012

On 21/08/12 17:01, Ryan Harper wrote:
> * Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com> [2012-08-21 08:42]:
>>> I am not sure we must have new features in each release, a release of
>>> bug fixes seems also reasonable to me. Why not keep it only time-based
>>> release regardless of commitments for new features for the release.
>>
>> I like giving people good reasons to upgrade, but also good reasons
>> to install the current version - and in terms of communication, if
>> we say that 3.2 will be "3.1, with lots of bug fixes", and that it
>> will be along in 3 months, why would anyone install 3.1? We've just
>> said it's a buggy release that will soon be obsoleted anyway.
>>
>> IMHO, it's better to say "here's what 3.1 does well, here's what 3.2
>> will be able to do that 3.1 doesn't". I'm not suggesting a
>> revolution with every release, but one thing which is identifiable
>> as "new in 3.2" doesn't seem like a lot to ask.
>
> Definitely agree with this approach.  We always want something new for
> the next release.

I agree we want something new, the question is what is the release criteria.
If I understand the above suggestion correctly If there are not enough
new features we won't release in 3 months?
I think this is a mistake because there are hundreds of bug fixes pushed
into the repository and releasing a more stable version IMO has great value.

For example in Networking we fixed one feature and will probably add one
small feature by November, but I know that networking in 3.1 release is
very buggy while if you take latest from upstream it is dramatically
better, regardless of the features there is a value for releasing in
November.