Next Release Planning

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 09:02:38 UTC 2012

On 22/08/12 11:24, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/22/2012 08:19 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
>> I'm perfectly fine with releasing in November a 3.1.1 as a stable
>> release. As long as we don't postpone releasing 'something' further than
>> November.
>
> I'd be happy to release a 3.1.1 release as soon as we have a fix for the
> NFS issue affecting 3.1 VDSM & Node builds.
>
>> The only issue that comes to mind when we start discussing z-stream is
>> the churn we'll have (as developers):
>>
>> - We'll need to cherry pick instead of rebasing, which means sending
>> patches twice, testing it twice, rewriting parts if needed etc. It would
>> have been ok if we didn't have to cherry pick a few dozens patches in
>> networking alone.
>>
>> - We'll need to take care of upgrades more carefully, which always makes
>> our work more interesting but also more complicated (do we require
>> upgrading to 3.1.z before upgrading to 3.2? testing the upgrade process
>> etc.)
>>
>> I think that going forward we'll do better if we can create the next
>> z-stream branch as soon as we release so we can cherry pick as we go,
>> now we have a gap of about 8 weeks (? - not sure actually) since last
>> rebase, that's a lot of work.
>>
>> I suggest that the release in November will still be 3.2 and hopefully
>> we can get enough features to make it attractive, and then we'll create
>> the z-stream branch, so we can release 3.2.z as needed (instead of doing
>> 3.3 with not enough meaningful content).
>
> It might help focus the conversation if we could have a list of features
> which have been started (or even finished) in the devel branch? I'd love
> to know what the general branching strategy for oVirt has been.

For networking -
- We pushed bridge-less networks (which was suppose to be in 3.1 but did
not make it)

- We are working right now on MAC anti-spoofing per VM - this should be
ready in the next month or so.

About other features -

- In storage i think we pushed grayed out LUNs, and I know there are
discussions+work upstream on live storage migration, not sure if it
would make it by November.

- There are some discussions and WIP patches on UI plugins but again not
sure if it would be ready by November.

- There is work around host bootstrap (some of it already pushed upstream)

- Gluster guys are working on import cluster - not sure what the status is.

I am sure there are other features  we can ask on the dev lists (engine
and vdsm) and see what else is out there.

Generally for each feature we should have a feature page and we can ask
the feature owner what is the target release of this feature.

About branching policy I'm not sure if we have one, except for creating
a branch before release for stabilization.

Thanks, Livnat