Next Release Planning

Ryan Harper ryanh at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 22 13:20:38 UTC 2012

* Livnat Peer <lpeer at redhat.com> [2012-08-22 01:22]:
> On 21/08/12 22:00, Ryan Harper wrote:
> > * Livnat Peer <lpeer at redhat.com> [2012-08-21 13:23]:

> >> I agree we want something new, the question is what is the release criteria.
> >> If I understand the above suggestion correctly If there are not enough
> >> new features we won't release in 3 months?
> >> I think this is a mistake because there are hundreds of bug fixes pushed
> >> into the repository and releasing a more stable version IMO has great value.
> >
> > This is what a stable release stream is for.  QEMU maintains a stable
> > release until the next version is available.  We could produce a 3.1.1
> > release and keep that going until 3.2 comes out.
> >
> > And if we don't have new features in 3 months, then it's probably too
> > short of a release cycle.  The last thing we want to do is introduce
> > *more* churn into engine deployments.  If we have a stable release, this
> > would make a longer cycle, like 6 months, more reasonable.
> >

> I'm perfectly fine with releasing in November a 3.1.1 as a stable
> release. As long as we don't postpone releasing 'something' further than
> November.

Certainly, we're still discussing what a stable branch/release for oVirt
means; I don't think this discussion should hold up reasonable plans.

> The only issue that comes to mind when we start discussing z-stream is
> the churn we'll have (as developers):
>
> - We'll need to cherry pick instead of rebasing, which means sending
> patches twice, testing it twice, rewriting parts if needed etc. It would
> have been ok if we didn't have to cherry pick a few dozens patches in
> networking alone.
>
> - We'll need to take care of upgrades more carefully, which always makes
> our work more interesting but also more complicated (do we require
> upgrading to 3.1.z before upgrading to 3.2? testing the upgrade process
> etc.)

This may be part of our stable patch requirements.  It should be bug
fixes only and shouldn't introduce anything that would require updating
before upgrading; though one can imagine a case where upgrading fails
without one of the stable fixes.

> I think that going forward we'll do better if we can create the next
> z-stream branch as soon as we release so we can cherry pick as we go,
> now we have a gap of about 8 weeks (? - not sure actually) since last
> rebase, that's a lot of work.

Yeah, normally the stable branch is opened as soon as the release goes
out, and patches that affect the current release are pushed into the
stable branch.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx