oVirt initiatives

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Jun 24 13:43:07 UTC 2012

On 2012-6-23 1:25, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With a number of colleagues and members of the oVirt community, we
> have been thinking about how we can help oVirt's adoption and increase
> developer participation and diversity in the project.
>
> What we've come up with is a broad definition of the target audience
> for the project, and a three-phase set of initiatives we believe will
> help the project be more successful.
>
> I'm bringing this to the board list because I would really like your
> feedback and assistance in helping make this a reality - it's
> important for me to know that we're proposing things which the project
> & community think are important.
>

> The sample user we discussed (based on feedback from Users and the
> persona I sent previously was a cost-sensitive sysadmin, potentially
> looking to move to a KVM-based virtualisation solution, working on a
> small virtualisation set-up in a test lab environment. He loves open
> source because it means he can test and deploy it without approval,
> adoption is bottom-up, and he can tweak it to suit his needs.
>
> We want to focus on people who want to download and try it in ~30
> minutes - running an engine and a node on the same machine
> (potentially a laptop or desktop machine) and on getting people
> started with small set-ups - perhaps two nodes and a laptop running
> the engine.

 From my experience,  it is non-trivial and time-consuming to setup an
working engine with physical nodes attached to it.  In order to shorten
the time for people,  I would suggest we can release some images for
engine, virtual nodes, self-configuring scripts in one package.   The
people who want to try oVirt only need to run a shell command.  Then the
command will deploy the images into right places and start the engine
and nodes in different virtual machines.  A well known IP is assigned to
the IP for them to access the engine, to create VM in the virtual nodes,
&etc.

--
Shu Ming <shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory