oVirt Bangalore Workshop Pre-Event Survey Responses

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 16:11:22 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone --

On Sept 20th, I sent a message to the list of registered attendees of
the oVirt Bangalore Workshop with a link to a brief Pre-Event survey.

We received 16 responses out of about 52 people mailed.

The Questions:

How Familiar Are You With:

(scale of 1-5, 5 is most familiar -- results averaged)

KVM: 2.8
oVirt: 2.1
RHEV: 2.6
vSphere: 1.8
XenServer: 1.3
Hyper-V: 1.3

What is your interest in the oVirt Workshop:

(check all that apply, # of people who expressed each)

Use oVirt: 15
Integrate w/ oVirt: 7
Develop Features for oVirt: 9
Contribute in some other way: 8

What do you hope to get out of the workshop?

(free text field)

***

Latest on the oVirt 3.1 recently released. Also latest on what the
future direction of oVirt and especially if someone can cover what the
latest on VDSM Storage side of things... Repository engines, SDM, Mixing
of storage domains etc.

***

Understand what it is and how it works including its various features so
that as a tester I can come up with good tests.

***

Knowledge, people networking and fun?

***

mostly on how to use oVirt with respect to quickly deploying images
across systems

***

1. Overview of oVirt,
2. How well it matches up to the existing virtualization management
stack from competitors, esp vSphere, and others?
3. How well can it integrate with cloud management stack like Openstack
and others?
4. What are the existing gaps in the management stack based out of KVM
hypervisor that is available in the market and how oVirt can probably be
the answer to all the confusion/gaps that is seen in the current
Management stack around KVM.
5. oVirt being an open-source version of RHEVM (if my understanding is
correct), can other companies tailor & sell oVirt as their offerings.
What's the licensing like?

***

Knowledge

***

Learn more about Virtualization and Live Migration

***

Knowledge/Info to get started with oVirt development

***

1) Future course of ovirt project
2) Relation between ovirt and RHEVM( missing features like support for VDI)
3) ovirt and cloud ecosystem ( openstack , openshift)

***

Regards, Jason

--

Jason Brooks