Proposal: Reorganization of the Project Management

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 11:54:14 UTC 2013

After having coordinated the 3.2 release with questionable success, I
have some thoughts on the ways to do this better going forward.  I
brought this up on the meeting last week, and was supposed to follow up
quickly on list with the proposal, so here it is.

1.  We need to have a group of stakeholders from each of the
projects/components in the our release that will make up the release
committee.
2.  Members of that group should be available on the weekly meeting or
have someone else on the team fill in for them
3.  There should be someone that is in charge of this group of
stakeholders with a preference for someone that is not tied to any one
sub-project.[1]
4.  The person who leads the committee should run the weekly meeting
5.  The person who leads the committee should track docs, publicity,
marketing, etc

I've already sent out a request for people from each of the sub-projects
for the 3.3 release.

I will continue to run the weekly meeting until we find someone to take
on that role, but I feel that I'm not the right person to do this long
term.

If you have thoughts on who could fill the leadership role or wish to
volunteer yourself, please reply to this email.

Thanks

Mike

[1] If there isn't someone from the community who is not tied to a
sub-project, then elect someone from group on a per-release basis.